As the sword is placed in the hands of the Tyler to enable him effectually to guard against the approach of cowans and eaves droppers, and to suffer none to pass or repass but such as are duly qualified, so it should admonish us to set a guard over our thoughts, a watch at our lips, and post a sentinel over our actions; thereby preventing every unworthy thought, word, or deed, and preserving consciences void of offense toward God and toward man.
The Tyler should:
- Be prompt and early so the Worshipful Master can open his Lodge on time.
- Welcome and accommodate all visiting Brethren, acting as host of the Lodge.
- Register all visiting Brethren and see that they are duly vouched for or examined.
- See that all Brethren are properly clothed at Stated, Special, and Funeral occasions.
- See that all aprons are kept clean and pressed.
- See that all Lodge paraphernalia is in place for all Stated, Special, and Degree work.
- See that all paraphernalia is put away when the Lodge is closed.
The Tyler may be the first member of the Lodge to meet a visiting Brother. It is, therefore, very important that the Tyler sincerely welcome the visitor and see that he is examined and, if found qualified, properly received.